How To Trim Motor Trend Floor Mats
Unknowingly, you soil your car’s carpet just by going in and out of the vehicle for your trips every day. You will only notice the grime when it had accumulated.
However, if you are a proactive vehicle owner, you might have purchased car floor mats to protect your floor. If the ones you bought still need trimming for the best fit in your car, we are here to help.
How to trim Motor Trend floor mats or any car mat? Read on.
Car Floor Mats
This type of mat is also called vehicle mats or automobile floor car mats. These mats are typically made of durable rubber material.
So why is it necessary to install these mats in your car?
Maintaining your car, including its carpet floor, helps you preserve its value over time. Car mats protect your car’s carpet floor from stains, dirt, and even salt corrosion. It is easier and more cost-effective to clean rubber car mats than the vehicle’s carpeted floor.
Car Mat Trimming Procedure
This trimming procedure works with Motor Trend floor mats or Motor Trend car mats and other rubber car mats. You will only need your old car mat and a pair of scissors to successfully trim your new car mat.
- Determine a clean, flat surface where you can lay and work with your car mat.
- Remove your old car mat and take it to your work area. Make sure that you dust off the old mat first before working with it.
- Take your new car mat.
- Lay your old car mat on top of the new car mat to serve as your template.
- Begin cutting your new car mat. It usually comes with lines or patterns that you can easily trace-cut based on the size of your old mat. Use a big pair of scissors. Make sure your cuts are clean.
- Continue cutting until it matches the size of your old car mat.
- Place the new mat on your car floor once you are done. Check if it sits snugly on your floor. If not, you can pull it out again and make necessary adjustments by cutting edges.
To safely dispose of your old car floor mats, bring them to recycle centers or ask car part dealers, parts distribution centers, or floor mat manufacturers for information.
How To Clean Car Floor Mats
Car mats harbor road dirt and other debris from your shoes. You may even find small pieces of food that you consumed during your trips. When left uncleaned for a while, your car mats may even give off a strange odor.
To clean your rubber and cloth car mats, follow these tips.
- Most car mats are removable. Before cleaning, remove them from the car, and clean them outdoors. Avoid cleaning them inside the car.
- Shake off dust particles from your rubber or cloth car mats by beating them against a hard surface. Make sure there are no kids or people nearby, especially if your car mats have excessive soil or debris.
- Then vacuum your cloth floor mats on both sides. Make sure the mats are dry. If it has a bad odor, sprinkle baking soda and let them sit for 10 to 20 minutes before vacuuming.
- To wash your cloth floor mats, pour soapy water on the mat. Scrub with a deck scrubber brush. Rinse well and hang.
- For rubber floor mats, use a water hose to dislodge debris on the dirty side. Do not wet the clean side. Mix baking soda, laundry soap, and water. Pour it on the mat surface. Then hose it down to rinse. Hang your mats to dry.
There, we have shared procedures on how to trim Motor Trend floor mats or rubber mats plus methods on how to clean your cloth and rubber mats. Keep your car clean to enjoy comfortable drives. Stay safe!