How To Make A Door Mat In 2 Easy Styles
A memorable doormat is the first step to making a good impression in your home—pun intended. It comes in different materials and designs to suit every household. In this article, we will teach you how to make door mat in a few easy steps so you can welcome people in your home in style.
2 Easy Guides To Making A Door Mat
The social media creative generation has given us many reasons to style our homes in the simplest ways. DIYs on how to make door mat ranges from minimalist to bold. Here, we will show you two ways.
Customized coir door mat - Minimalist design
This doormat is perfect for homes that prefer a minimalist design on their doorstep. You can also come up with a clever catchphrase that's perfect for the season.
Things you need:
- A plain coir mat
- Acrylic paint (outdoor)
- Cricut mat
- Design software
- Add the text design on your design software:
- Take note of the dimensions
- Adjust if necessary
- Choose a vinyl that's not too expensive but is thick enough for stenciling.
- Transfer your stencil to the mat and start painting.
- Place your stencil vinyl and carefully position it on your mat.
- When applying the outdoor acrylic paint using your oil brushes, make sure you use a pouncing motion and not a stroke.
- Let it dry and enjoy the process!
Tip: Use brushes with hard bristles. Your choice of brush and paint is crucial to the success of your mat's design.
Recycled door mat - bold colors
Now that you know how to make door mat by stenciling let's do something a little more environment-friendly.
Things you need:
- Old clothes
Before you start, cut off three fabric shapes:
- Cloth for the mat
- Strips of fabric for the design
- A long ruffled strip for the border
- Tear up your clothes and cut it into two-inch vertical strips, five inches in length.
- Fold the strip of cloth lengthwise, so that it now has one side open.
- Run your thread along the open side, creating seams in the process.
- Roll the seams to form a flower.
- Repeat this step for all the other strips of cloth, and make as many as you want.
- Get a piece of cloth cut into a circle or a rectangle.
- Sew a ruffled border along the sides.
- Sew your recycled flowers on the mat's surface, and you're good to go!
Tip: Play with the cloth colors so you can come up with a bold, ruffled mat.
When we welcome people into our home, office, and any personal space, we let our doormats do the talking first. Knowing how to make door mat in different styles will give you the versatility you need to dress up the doorway in any manner you want.