How To Make Custom Door Mats: Easy Steps
Aside from verbal and physical forms of greetings, being greeted with a personalized doormat can be so heartwarming as well. The thing about customized doormats is that you can design them according to your liking, you can even put your family name on them, which gives them a more homey vibe. So how to make custom door mats at home? Continue reading to know how.
Unleash Your Creativity
Don’t worry because the process on how to make a personalized doormat is so easy to do that you can even make it as a family bonding. With the invention of useful software and by taking advantage of your printer at home, you can now make your own version of a customized doormat without having to pay for a higher price. Here are ways on how to make custom door mats at home.
- The first thing on how to make custom door mats is of course to choose a base for your desired output. It would be best to invest in rubber or waterproof doormats for long-lasting durability. In that way, your doormat wouldn’t tend to get weary after you wash and clean it with water and soap.
- Now, for the fun part of how to make custom door mats, gather the materials that you need for this project.
- Flat brush
- Paper to print on
- Create a layout of your desired design for this personalized project. You can use a software called Cricut. However, if you’re not too familiar with its features and layout, you can switch to a more beginner-friendly design site which is called Canva.
- Add the text or pattern that you want to put on your doormat. Make sure that you set the settings of the photo into the right size which will fit the size of your doormat.
- Then, print it out using any available printer in your home. If you don’t have any Cricut equipment, you can manually cut along the edges of each letter that you have printed. You can use a thin and sharp cutter blade for this step.
- Once you’re done cutting the needed space from the design, lay it now on top of the plain doormat. Use a masking tape to hold it in place. Secure each corner so it wouldn’t move around the moment you start to paint on it.
- After you have fully secured your printed design above the mat, grab your paint and your flat-head brush. Acrylic paints would be the best option for this kind of project.
- You can begin the painting process. Evenly spread the paint along the letters using your brush. Do this process gently so you wouldn’t move the paper and so you won’t ruin your design.
- Once you have fully painted all the letters, go ahead and remove all the masking tape that holds the paper in place. Gently remove the paper as well to not smudge paint onto the doormat.
- Lastly, seal your design with any available sealant of your choice.
Those are ten easy steps on how to make custom doormats at home.
It’s so fun to learn how to make custom door mats, especially if you plan to give it as a gift to a loved one.