How To Make Cricut Mat Sticky: Easy Care Tips
With constant use, Cricut mats accumulate paper and fabric lint and make them lose their grip. But before you head out and purchase a new mat, try some of our suggested tips on how to make Cricut mat sticky and make it feel brand new again.
A Quick Need-To-Know Guide On Cricut Mats: Types, Uses, And Care
Some people attest to their Cricut mats lasting years, even with consistent use. Before we show you some tricks on how to make Cricut mat sticky again, let's take a look at some Cricut basics.
Types And Uses Of Cricut
Cricut mats come in different colors and each signify different grip strength.
- Cricut standard grip mat – This mat is a green color and can handle medium-weight materials, like washi paper and vinyl.
- Purple strong grip mat – You can only use strong materials for this mat because of its adhesive strength. Stiffened fabrics and wood can be used on this mat.
- Pink fabric grip mat – Not as sticky as other types but is designed to hold down the fabric. This gentle adhesive design ensures fibers don't stick too much on its surface.
- Cricut light grip mat – This mat comes in color blue with its light adhesive hold and is best for handling soft and thin materials, like paper and vinyl.
Care Tips For Your Cricut Mats
Not all Cricut mats are created equal. If you want to know how to make Cricut mat sticky after prolonged use, you'll have to be more specific in caring for it, and these are some tips:
Caring for purple, green, and blue cutting mats:
- Your Cricut set usually comes with a scraper. Use this scraper to remove any residue after cutting.
- Run a lint roller in one direction over your mat's surface to remove smaller and more challenging material.
- Use alcohol and bleach-free baby wipes to clean your mat's surface.
- Make a mixture of warm water and gentle dishwashing detergent to clean your entire mat.
Note: Always make sure your mats are dried thoroughly before using them again.
Caring for the new pink cutting mat:
- Do not touch the adhesive surface to avoid body oils from soiling the mat.
- DO NOT use your scraper. Instead, use tweezers or the transfer tape that comes with your Cricut package.
- Put transfer tape on fleece and felt materials to keep your mat fuzz-free.
Note: Using adhesive or sticky sprays to make your Cricut mats sticky again will void your machine's warranty. But if you're past that stage and feel the need to experiment, it is one of the best options.
Knowing how to make Cricut mat sticky will make you worry less and create more. The key to caring for any device is to be consistent, and consistently keeping your Cricut mats clean, will yield amazing results.