How To Clean Waterhog Mats
Waterhog mats are very popular and widely used today. The design and construction are the reason they are well-known, not only in households but in offices as well. In this article, you will learn how to clean waterhog mats.
Cleaning Your Waterhog Mats
Here are the steps on how to clean waterhog mats. Before you start, make sure that your mat is dry.
- Shake It Off - Bring your mat outside and shake it off to get rid of any loose dirt and debris.
- Vacuum - Use a vacuum to pull off all the dirt that were not removed during the shaking step. Make sure that you vacuum your mats properly.
- Remove gum or grease stain - It cannot be avoided that your mat will have stains, or even gum stock on it. So you must learn how to remove them. Do not use any solvent-based cleaners as they may damage the fabric on your mat. Here are some options you can use:
- Gum - Use a gum remover freeze. Apply the freeze directly on the gum and remove it by using a putty knife or screwdriver. Avoid using gum removal solutions that can soak on the fabric.
- Grease stain - Using a towel cloth, take off any stain that you can. Then apply a hand cleaner gel directly on the stain and let it stay there for three minutes. Use the towel, and remove any stain that you can remove. Use a nylon brush to stir the stain. Repeat this process a couple of times until the stain is gone. Make sure that you blot the towel instead of wiping it, or the stain will spread.
- Stain - For other stains, use carpet spotting solutions to loosen the stain stuck to the fiber. Then soak it in clean water. Wash the mat immediately to get rid of any stain removing chemicals that got soaked in the mat.
- Wash the mat - Mix 1/2 cup detergent to a bucket of hot water. Dip a long-handled scrub brush in the soap bucket, and apply generously into the mat. Scrub until the entire mat is clean.
- Rinse with water - Rinse your mat thoroughly with hot water. You will know that your mat is completely rinsed when no suds are coming out from it. Using a high-pressure hose helps a lot in making sure that your mat is thoroughly clean as well.
- Hang and Dry - Hang the mat up and dry completely under the sun for at least three hours. Ensure that the back of the mat is dry as well before putting it back on the floor. You might want to have enough mats to switch it with clean ones while you clean the dirty ones, given that it takes several hours to dry.
A clean mat will always work better than dirty ones. Make sure that you clean your mats on a regular basis to reduce the risk of contaminants entering your home.