How To Clean Foam Gym Mats
Foam gym mats give you extra comfort during mild and even extreme exercise routines. More so, they function well in keeping kids safe at playtime when installed in playrooms, bedrooms, or nurseries.
If you have noticed that yours have gotten sticky or stained, you will need to know how to clean foam gym mats safely.
We can help you with this quick guide.
Cleaning Your Foam Gym Mats
Foam tiles resemble puzzle pieces. They come in different sizes and colors. You can cover your space depending on the number of tiles that you have.
Foam tiles are commonly used in gyms and households. Athletes also use them during gymnastics or martial arts tournaments. These mats are porous, allowing them to absorb shocks caused by running, jumping, bouncing, and other physical activities.
Another type of gym mat is the vinyl-covered one. They also serve the same purpose as the foam tiles. Vinyl gym mats also come in a variety of sizes and colors.
The cleaning solution for gymnastics mats or foam mats is not complex. You will only need household items, such as a broom, vacuum, mop, and other general household cleaning paraphernalia.
How to clean gym floor mats will depend on the type of mat that you have.
How To Clean Foam Tiles Or Mats
Foam tiles, like puzzle pieces put together, are interlocked. Thus, when cleaning, you have to pay attention to the spaces between them. Here are more cleaning tips:
- Do not sanitize your foam tiles with alcohol. Avoid using cleaners with harsh chemicals, bleach, or ammonia.
- Use water and dish soap or any basic household floor cleaner. Dip a clean, soft cloth or rag into your cleaning mixture, and squeeze it until damp. Run the cloth across the surface of your mat. If you have a larger mat, use a damp mop.
- For your gym mats, use a dry cloth to wipe them after exercising.
- Sweep or vacuum the mats regularly to remove any debris trapped between the crevices.
- To remove stubborn stains, you can still use water and dish soap or any basic household floor cleaner. This time, use a non-abrasive scrub.
- If the stains are still there after scrubbing, take the foam tile/s outdoors to hose them down; or you can scrub them a little more in the sink. Don’t worry about water damage as most foam tiles are non-absorbent.
- Wipe your mats with a clean, soft cloth after washing and let them air dry before reinstalling.
How To Clean Vinyl-Covered Gym Mats
- Sweep or vacuum the gym mats to remove loose dirt and debris. Use a simple vacuum attachment, not one with rotating brushes.
- After exercising, make it a habit to wipe your mat with a dry cloth or disposable antibacterial wipes.
- Use a damp towel or mop to remove mild stains. Always make sure that your towel or mop is squeezed well and not saturated before working on your mat surface. The vinyl on your mat is non-absorbent. However, water will cause damage if it gets inside your mat.
- For stubborn stains and dirt, use a damp towel and a regular household cleaner. Do not spray your cleaner directly on the mat.
The procedures on how to clean foam gym mats discussed here are doable and safe. Keep bacteria and germs away from your workout spaces and your kids’ play area by regularly cleaning your mats.