How To Clean Car Floor Mats Carpet
Your car floor mats can easily get dirty, especially if you use your car every day. You must know how to clean car floor mats carpet regardless of what material it is made of.
Rubber Floor Mats
Rubber car floor mats are highly recommended during the wet season as they help prevent moisture that can damage your car's interior. Here are the easy steps on how to clean car floor mats carpet that's made of rubber.
- Remove your rubber car floor mats from your car. You don't want to clean it inside the car as you will have to clean it with water.
- Remove dust and debris by hitting the mat against the ground or any hard surface. Make sure that you do this outdoors.
- Grab a pressurized water hose to loosen the dirt on the mats.
- Apply soap on the rubber floor mat by spraying or with a sponge or rag. Other alternatives are wipes, sanitizer, or baking soda mixture.
- Get your pressurized hose again, and use it on the floor mat to remove the soap.
- Let the mats dry completely by hanging them before you put them back inside your car.
Cloth Car Floor Mats
Cleaning cloth car floor mats can be tedious. They are tougher to clean because they can easily get stained, and wet cloth floor mats can cause an unpleasant smell. Here's how to thoroughly clean carpeted car floor mats.
- Get the cloth car floor mats out of your car. You don't want to clean them inside the car as you will be using water and cleaning agents to clean them.
- Vacuum each side of the cloth car floor mats thoroughly to remove the dirt and dust.
- Grab your baking soda and spread it into the upholstery. Baking soda will help get rid of the stains and the stinky odors. You can also create a baking soda and water mixture. Then use a brush, dip it in the baking soda mixture, and scrub the dirt from the floor mat.
- Use cleaning agents to wash the cloth floor mat fully. Here are some options you can use:
Soap, water, and scrub – All you need to do is to mix two tablespoons of powdered soap and two tablespoons of regular shampoo. You'll also be needing a brush to apply the mixture onto the cloth floor mat. Scrub hard, and rinse the mats using clean water.
Spray cleaners – Buy any brand of spray cleaner that you prefer. Spray some on the cloth mats and leave it for 30 minutes. Let the mats absorb the spray cleaner and use a hand brush to scrub off the dirt.
Steam cleaner, power wash, or washing machine – You can use a steam cleaning vacuum or power washer, just like in the carwash. You can also toss the mats in the washing machine, add detergent and stain remover.
- Repeat the vacuum process to ensure that you have removed all the dirt residue and some of the water.
- Let the cloth floor mats dry by hanging them outside, or you can put them in the dryer.
Wash your cloth car floor mats regularly. It would be best to replace the mats with rubber during rainy days so you won't have a hard time cleaning.